TwelverShia.net Forum

Why isnt Mu'awiya [r] one of the khulafaa alraashidah

Muwahhid

Why isnt Mu'awiya [r] one of the khulafaa alraashidah
« on: October 28, 2015, 01:59:41 AM »

I was just wondering if anyone with more knowledge can shine some light about the reason why Mu'awiyah [r] wasn't considered one of the rightly guided khalifahs like Abu Bakr, Umar, Uthman, Ali, and Hasan since some scholars considered Umar bin Abdul Aziz as one of them, but not Mu'awiya.

I don't doubt the virtues of Mu'awiya, but just heard a shi'i asking this and wanted to know what is the answer.

If anyone can quote any statements from classical scholars about this that would be great.

JazakAllahu khairan.

Rationalist

Re: Why isnt Mu'awiya [r] one of the khulafaa alraashidah
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2015, 03:20:32 AM »
I'm guessing the Sunni view would be that he didn't have Shura.

Muwahhid

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2015, 03:31:28 AM »
Shura about what? the sahaba pledged allegiance to him didn't they.

Rationalist

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2015, 03:33:57 AM »
When? The sahaba pledged to Ali, and then Muawiyah took power by default.

Muwahhid

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2015, 05:01:21 AM »
No i mean when Hasan bin Ali [r] pledged allegiance to M'uawiya, at that time all the sahaba gave bay'ah as well.

Aba AbdAllah

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2015, 11:16:30 AM »
Because the Caliphate of rightly guided Caliphs was the Caliphate on Manhaj of Nabuwwah. And the Caliphate of Manhaj Nabuwwah was just thirty years(30), which excludes the rule of Muawiyah(ra). And his rule comes under the prophesy of kingdom.

Farid

« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2015, 05:32:29 PM »
I am not aware of any major classical scholar saying that Umar bin Abdulaziz is the fifth khalifa. This statement itself is wrong and the early scholars regarded Muawiyah as superior to Umar bin Abdulaziz.

Hani

« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2015, 08:37:37 PM »
What is clear is that some groups didn't view `Ali's Imamah as legit, some didn't view `Uthman's Imamah as legit, some said the righteous Caliphs are only the first three since the nation was plunged into civil war in `Ali's time, others said only the first two Caliphs are righteous and the rest became corrupt etc... The majority of the nation and they are Ahlul-Sunnah view the first four as righteous because the Prophet (saw) said: "Caliphate of prophet-hood for thirty years then kingdom." as already highlighted above. So we don't care about what this or that group said, we care about what Rasul-Allah (saw) says.
عَلامَةُ أَهْلِ الْبِدَعِ الْوَقِيعَةُ فِي أَهْلِ الأَثَرِ. وَعَلامَةُ الْجَهْمِيَّةِ أَنْ يُسَمُّوا أَهْلَ السُّنَّةِ مُشَبِّهَةً. وَعَلامَةُ الْقَدَرِيَّةِ أَنْ يُسَمُّوا أَهْلَ السُّنَّةِ مُجَبِّرَةً. وَعَلامَةُ الزَّنَادِقَةِ أَنْ يُسَمُّوا أَهْلَ الأَثَرِ حَشْوِيَّةً

Religion = simple & clear

Rationalist

« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2015, 03:28:36 AM »
The Ahle Sunnah concept of Calipah isn't anything like the Shia sects. Its actually closer to the western concept of a leader. A calipah is a president, the difference is a Calipah leads an Islamic state, where as a President leads a secular state separating it  from religion.

As for Muawiyah, I believe Saad ibn Waqas told him you are not a  Calipah, but you are a King.